Anything can happen while you’re on the job, especially when you work in the construction industry. Whether you’re hands-on at building things or work at the sidelines supervising and checking the work done, safety needs to be prioritized so that nothing untoward can happen.
Thus, personal protective equipment (PPE) like men and women’s safety boots, goggles, gloves and hard hats are required whenever a trip to the job site is due.
However, some protective equipment looks bulky and generally ugly, which clashes with a person’s fashion sense. After all, today’s younger generation is more conscious of how they look rather than the risk they face.
But do looks matter more than purpose? What makes PPEs so important?
Why You Need to Wear Personal Protective Equipment on Site
Personal protective equipment is one of the most important tools while working in the field of construction. And here’s why:
- Wearing protective gloves can protect you against potential hazards such as cuts, burns, electrical injuries and other dangers to the fingers, hands and arms.
- The use of face shields and goggles will keep you safe against chemical splashes, potentially infectious materials, radiation, and other hazardous effects of machines and physical labour.
- Hard hats are essential on the construction site. These will help you avoid head injuries from falling objects and striking something hard or something that is potentially electrocuting.
- Safety boots, often referred to as steel-toe boots, should always be worn on-site to prevent foot accidents. Crushed toes are one of the most common injuries on the job site. And these are most often caused by the falling of heavy objects.
- Because of the noise that most tools and heavy equipment create on construction sites, employees are frequently required to wear hearing protection, such as earplugs and earmuffs.
Tips on Being Fashionable While Wearing PPEs
Indeed, PPEs are important when you are out working on a construction site.
But while the importance of PPEs is already established, looking chic in it is also valued by many. And if you worry that wearing bulky, ill-fitting PPEs will make you look like a potato, consider these tips on choosing and wearing such equipment so you can continue being the fashionable you.
- Choose all-purpose working gloves that will give you the grip you need while protecting you against the hazards of the job. Just make sure you pick one that fits your hands perfectly and is comfortable to wear. And don’t forget about the colour that matches your overall look.
- Goggles and face shields can be quite unflattering. Thankfully, you can choose a pair of safety glasses that are fashionable as they are protective. Among the most popular ones today are the safety sunglasses that you can wear on and off-site.
- You can never go on-site without a hard hat. But wearing one can be quite uncomfortable, not to mention unappealing. However, a badass hard hat will make you look like you’re wearing a key fashion statement. As long as it does the job and feels comfortable, all the bling it brings is good to go.
- Genuine leather boots make great protective work boots. They can endure the wear and tear that comes with the job and come with slip and shock-resistance and waterproof features that make them great for any outdoor use.
Safety is the top priority in whatever industry you may be working in. But you don’t have to wear just any protective gear and look drab on the field. You can still choose to be fashionable and feel good about yourself, too.
Thankfully, some PPEs will help you in this case. With the right eye protector, women’s safety boots, and other protective wear, you can still rock it and look like you’re walking the runway in the middle of constructing a building.
When you love what you do and like how you look while working, it brings a lot of positive energy that can be infectious in the workplace.
So, be safe and look good while doing it, too.