The world of software development is always changing. Change is imminent, but an adaptation of self to technology is a choice.
One of the most recent changes to come along is Kubernetes. It’s one that many businesses are turning to when choosing a new technology stack.
What does Kubernetes offer? How can your business benefit from using it? Find out in this article!
So are you ready to find out how Kubernetes service can improve your business? If so, be sure to keep reading.
What Is Kubernetes Services?
- 1 What Is Kubernetes Services?
- 2 Your Business Needs Kubernetes Service
- 3 How to Start Using Kubernetes Service?
- 4 Common Mistakes When Using Kubernetes Service
- 5 How Much Does It Cost to Use Kubernetes Service?
- 6 Alternatives to Kubernetes Service
- 7 Kubernetes Made Easy
Kubernetes is an open-source system for managing containerized applications. It provides a way to deploy, scale and manage the containers that make up your application in production.
Kubernetes Services are one of Kubernetes’ key features. They allow you to expose any desired set of services running on top of Kubernetes as if they were their own cluster only accessible by clients who have an active connection with the service’s load balancer.
This means that multiple pods can be made into a single logical unit (or ‘service’). It’s availability will depend on the health or state of all its constituent components rather than just individual pod failures. This not only makes it more clear what sets each component apart, but it also provides a level of resilience to the overall application.
Kubernetes Services are created and managed similarly to any other Kubernetes object: Deployments or StatefulSets.
In fact, these two types of objects often work together when automating service creation and scaling tasks. They can be easily synced with one another. This way, changes made from within either apply to both.
Deployment Configuration & Scalability
The primary difference is that deployment configuration only tells Kubernetes what should run on each pod (and how). Statefulset configuration specifies which pods should constitute an instance (or ‘replica’) of a given service at any time.
When you create a new Service based on either type of configuration, Kubernetes can then provide a set of things that the Service will give you:
- A unique DNS name for your service (for humans to use
- An IP address which is accessible only by clients connected with the load balancer and related pods
- Load balancing rules so Kubernetes knows how to direct incoming traffic coming in from outside sources.
Kubernetes Services are an essential tool in maximizing application availability. Once deployed and configured correctly, developers focus on what makes their app special rather than configuring basic networking services like connections or SSL certificates.
You’ll be able to scale without downtime. This is thanks to built-in process monitoring features that detect problems before they become larger issues, route traffic to the most optimal endpoint depending on its type, and enable a high level of control for those wanting complete autonomy.
Your Business Needs Kubernetes Service
The reason why your business needs Kubernetes service is that it’s the best solution to managing containers.
Along with providing a way to deploy, scale, and manage the containerized applications running in production, Kubernetes Service creates an environment resilient against pod failures without manual intervention.
It also provides some basic networking services such as SSL certificates or connection configurations which can be time-consuming for developers trying to focus on what makes their app special!
Furthermore, your business can scale without downtime. It can route traffic to the most optimal endpoint depending on its type and enable a high level of control for those who want complete autonomy.
Kubernetes is an open-source system that gives your business access to all these benefits. It also gives developers more time to focus on their app’s special features!
How to Start Using Kubernetes Service?
To start using the Kubernetes service, you will need to download the code from GitHub. Then use a Kubernetes cluster.
Another way is to use a managed service such as Google Kubernetes Engine or AWS Elastic Container Service.
After this, you will have to configure your cluster and deploy the Kubernetes-service resource. This process is similar to deploying any other Kubernetes object. One can do it manually or through a CI/CD pipeline.
Here are some tips if it’s your first time using Kubernetes services:
- It is recommended that you run Kubernetes version v.s. a specific Kubernetes service
- It would help if you also used a managed environment such as Google’s, AWS, or Azure to get started
- If you want to use your own cluster, it is recommended that you run Kubernetes on Ubuntu 16.04
- You will need at least three nodes for the service to be operational (it could work with only one node, but there’s no point)
- You can either supply your own config file or use one of the preconfigured files available from GKE
Common Mistakes When Using Kubernetes Service
It’s not odd that using new technologies will result in mistakes occurring. Furthermore, this is not to be feared but to be welcomed. Without mistakes, you will not optimize your performance to the standards you might develop over time.
The most common mistakes when using Kubernetes service are:
- Not specifying enough resources required for the service to function
- Setting up a private cluster in which you can’t use Kubernetes services (Kubernetes Service is only available on public clusters)
- Using someone else’s config file without understanding what it does and how it might impact your performance or application stability (check Turbonomic for performance analysis)
- Incorrect configuration of a Kubernetes object
- Deploying an incorrect number of nodes in the cluster (a minimum of three is required)
- Using malformed or incompatible config files for different environments, such as production and staging (this means that one will not deploy your resources correctly to either environment)
Common mistakes when using Kubernetes usually happen because people are unaware of the technology they’re using. They may not fully understand its capabilities. So we recommend reading as much as you can about the Kubernetes service.
How Much Does It Cost to Use Kubernetes Service?
The cost of using Kubernetes service depends on a few factors:
- The type of container you are running (for example, whether it’s an application or not)
- Whether the cluster is public or private (privacy comes with a higher price)
- If your company uses Google Cloud Platform, then all bets are off
All prices depend on what you’re trying to do and how much time you need. Make sure to contact them directly about their pricing details!
Many variables will influence your business’s cost when using Kubernetes Services. These include whether they’re running in a public or private environment, and the specific workload types being deployed.
At the end of the day, you can expect to spend anywhere from $0.03 to $350 per hour for running a Kubernetes Service. This depends on what you’re trying to achieve and how many resources are required.
Alternatives to Kubernetes Service
Kubernetes Service is not the only way to run containerized workloads. Docker EE and OpenShift are two alternatives.
These can also be running in a public or private environment, each with its respective benefits and drawbacks. For example, you might want to choose one that is suited for your company’s needs better, such as security (Docker EE) or additional features like CI/CD pipelines through Helm Charts (OpenShift)
The cost will depend on what you’re trying to achieve. Still, both services offer an easy user experience for beginners who don’t know about containers yet.
Maybe they need help to build their own cluster locally first before deploying it externally. Recently there has been talk of merging these two technologies into Docker EE. This might be something to watch out for in the future.
Kubernetes Made Easy
Kubernetes Service is designed to be a PaaS solution for containers, providing developers with an easy way of running their workloads without the need to worry about all the technical details.
It can run in either public or private environments. It comes with some benefits like scalability. Still, it also has drawbacks, such as cost.
These will vary based on different factors. Make sure you remember these so that you don’t have any further issues down the line!
In conclusion, Kubernetes Service is a great new technology to make containerized workload management easier for developers. It takes care of all the underlying tasks when deploying containers.
However, there are still many things to consider before choosing this service. And it needs to be matched with the company’s requirements. Make sure you do your research before committing!
Are you interested in learning more about scalable internet technologies? If so, please check out some of our other related articles.