The best credit card machines and terminals are the ones that give your customer service line the least number of headaches. You need something fast, efficient, secure, and easy to use. It shouldn’t surprise anyone, then, that the best credit card machines tend to be really expensive. But don’t worry—if you’re looking for an affordable alternative, we’ll cover that, too.
To illustrate why getting the best credit card machines is so important, let’s take a moment to examine the alternatives:
• Paper – It’s an old-fashioned way of doing business and it doesn’t do much for brand promotion. If you’re working with primarily cash transactions anyhow, paper can work just fine. Otherwise, you’re limiting your business if you don’t use plastic money.
• Third-Party Options – These are convenient, but they tend to be even more expensive than the alternatives if you assume all the risk yourself. Also avoid these if at all possible (look for the red flags). Most of them are scams.
• Old Credit Card Machines – These are your traditional credit card machines, but they don’t offer much in the way of speed or security unless you upgrade to more expensive models. This is rarely a good option for small businesses trying to save money on their startup operations costs.
So what’s the best choice? As you’re probably already guessing, it’s a new credit card machine or terminal. In fact, you might be surprised to learn that the best credit card machines are actually wireless. This allows for several operational benefits including:
• More efficient running of your business—Having a separate unit from the monitor makes maintenance and service a lot easier.
• A better customer experience—Always a good idea when you’re charging credit cards.
• Faster transactions—Wireless units can process data at a higher rate of speed than traditional models, which is a big deal if you’re dealing with heavy traffic on a daily basis.
So what should you look for in picking out the best wireless credit card machines? Here are some requirements to consider:
• An EMV ready terminal—EMV (Europay, Mastercard, Visa) is the international standard for credit card security. The goal of this initiative is to reduce credit card fraud. It’s required in most places around the world by now, and there are no exceptions; you need a wireless terminal that supports EMV.
• Wi-Fi—You can find a number of terminals that use Bluetooth, but you don’t want to risk the drop in speed and efficiency. Wi-Fi is much faster and more reliable for connectivity. You’ll also need to make sure your network is secure to protect customer card data from getting into the wrong hands.
• Long lasting—You want a credit card machine that’s going to last, so you need to find something with high-quality internal components. Anything less than this will simply break down under heavy use, which could spell disaster for your business.
• Backed by a reputable company—This is possibly one of the most important things to think about. You might have a great credit card machine, but what happens when it breaks down and you need support? In this case, you want a company that offers dedicated 24-hour customer service. That way, you can get help any time day or night—even if the problem occurs over the weekend.
So, the best credit card machines are actually wireless—and you can get them at an affordable price. Now that you know this, don’t skimp on the things that really matter; it’s better to be safe than sorry when submitting credit card payments.