Today you are witnessing the massive surge of Digitally-driven developments. Everyone is trying to be online, and every business is undergoing digital transformations to survive in this data-driven world. But the one thing we all are equally worried about is the privacy and security of our data. It is the time where cyber threats are at their peak. Cybercriminals are getting away by breaching data and invading privacy. There are strict rules enforced, but these criminals always find a way about it.
They also keep inventing new malware that infects systems and networks and renders it useless. Today with the pandemic, a large chunk of the society is forced to work and learn online. Cyber Security becomes ever more important in today’s scenario. A study by (ISC)2 states that organizations are recruiting more Cyber Security professionals in the coming years. So, let’s talk about Cyber Security today and the ways to start a career in Cyber Security.
- 1 What is Cyber Security?
- 2 Why is Cyber Security important?
- 3 What is the difference between Information Security, Cyber Security, and Network Security?
- 4 Is Cyber Security right for me?
- 5 Skill-sets for a career in Cyber Security?
- 6 Cyber Security careers and the companies they can work for
- 7 Salary of Cyber Security professionals
What is Cyber Security?
In simple words, Cyber Security is all about keeping systems, networks, and devices from digital attacks or threats. Cyber Security professionals aim to protect these digital assets from cybercriminals or hackers and prevent any damage, data theft, privacy invading, damage to software, hardware, or disruption to services offered, etc.
Many professionals within the Cyber Security domain will collectively help in preventing any sort of damage by cyber threats like pen testers, Cyber Security engineers, and many more.
Why is Cyber Security important?
There was a time when the digital economy hadn’t proliferated as it has been today. Earlier, just installing an anti-virus and setting up a firewall would have solved any issue. But today, with sophisticated online processes, it’s difficult to catch the bug or the culprit. It’s the need of the hour to set up strong defenses in the form of security measures to actively stand against cybercriminals and threats.
Like every major business, organization, and enterprise, are going digital and shifting their workloads and data online. They must have a proper stringent mechanism in place to fight against rising cyberattacks or else they may undergo data breaches, data theft, ransomware attacks, or even make incapable to access their data that is stored on the server or cloud, thus tarnishing their reputation and losing money in the process. If you are growth-oriented and are wishing to make a career in Cyber Security, check out Cyber Security online courses.
What is the difference between Information Security, Cyber Security, and Network Security?
Cyber Security focuses on preventing organizations from cyber attacks and threats. The professionals in the Cyber Security team think like a hacker, and keep themselves updated in the current technologies, modus operandi of various groups, software these criminals use, their methods, and design contingency plans to trap them and act as the first line of defense.
Whereas, Information Security deals with the protection of data and looks after the bigger picture or the security landscape. The professionals in this team oversee any unauthorized access and prepare plans to recover from a cyber-attack or data breach.
The Network Security team focuses on protecting the data transferred across the networks. Network Security could be called a subset of Network Security. They protect the company from various DOS attacks, trojans, viruses, and worms. This team only focuses on the data on transit.
Is Cyber Security right for me?
It is the question that everyone must ask before entering the Cyber Security domain. Because then only you will know how to break into the career path of the Cyber Security profession. There are many more questions which professionals and freshers keep asking about this domain. They are:
- How can I start a career in Cyber Security?
- What are the skill-sets that I need for a career in Cyber Security?
- Which companies can I work for?
- Are there any internships available?
- What are the scope and career advancement in the domain? and many more.
I will try to answer all these in the article to help you get clarity to make the best decisions. But many other questions cannot be answered as it’s out of the scope of this article. You can also have a look at this Cyber Security tutorial to learn more about this popular domain.
How can I start a career in Cyber Security?
There is no fixed career path to break into the Cyber Security domain but if you follow these below-mentioned points, then there is a higher chance for you to be successful in the Cyber Security path.
- Companies prefer to have a candidate with Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, or any other similar field.
- It’s good to have a good knowledge of firewalls, endpoint security, etc.
- On the way, try gaining proper knowledge or proficiency in programming languages and tools like C++, Java, Ruby, Python, Go, PowerShell, etc.
- You must be a candidate who can handle pressure situations. As you will be working under pressure situations under emergencies like a data breach, cyber-attacks, etc.
- You must be updated on the current security trends, knowledge of various hacking tools, modus operandi of famous groups and emerging criminal groups, new methodologies of invading the security measures, an eye for the details while you patch security loopholes, and must not be complacent.
Skill-sets for a career in Cyber Security?
To break into the career of Cyber Security, you must be possessing these skills. It is not mandatory to have all of these skills for an entry-level position, but you must acquire them while you advance your career in Cyber Security.
- You must have high-level problem-solving skills with good technical aptitude.
- You must have good knowledge of security on different platforms.
- Having basic skills in Computer Forensics would help.
- You must think like a hacker and must have attention to detail.
- You must have leadership qualities and demonstrate that with initiatives and quick decision-making ability based on insights.
- You must be very organized and punctual.
- Having a creative side and out-of-the-box thinking is the best tool for creating traps for hackers to fall and contingency plans to recover quickly from any cyber attack.
- You must have good communication skills and interpersonal skills to smoothen your career advancements.
- You must have a thorough knowledge and understanding of issues prevailing in privacy laws, data security laws, and other confidentiality regulations.
- At last, you must be curious, attentive, and alert to know, learn, understand and execute new plans and methodologies in the realm of Cyber Security.
Cyber Security careers and the companies they can work for
There are various designations and career paths within the Cyber Security domain, here I will name them for your reference:
Cyber Security Generalist, Cloud Security Engineer, Network Security Engineer, Identity and Access Manager Engineer, Application Security Specialist, Penetration Tester, Cryptographer, Security Trainer, Security Architect, Cyber Security Engineer, and many more titles.
You can find Cyber Security roles in various other domains and industries like with governments, Cyber Security firms, big MNC’s, banks, and financial institutions, etc.
Salary of Cyber Security professionals
Cyber Security professionals enjoy a good salary as they can earn an annual average salary of 50,000-80,000 Pounds in the UK and USD 75,000-120,000 in the US. Cyber Security Salary in India is INR 608,750. Remember this figure is the annual average figure and will depend on the company you are working for and the work experience and skill-sets you possess.