Netgear extenders are one of the most popular devices to access high-speed internet. But, it can be irritating when the LED light on your WiFi device turns red instead of green. If you are also struggling with the red light issue with your Netgear extender, then walk through this article. Here, we will provide you various troubleshooting tips that will help you fix the issue. So, read on.
Fixed: Netgear Extender Red Light Issue
- Relocate Your Extender
One of the most common reasons behind the Netgear extender red light issue is its improper placement. So, if you have placed your WiFi device in dead zones or corners, it is time to change its location. Place your Netgear extender in a well-ventilated and tidy area. Most importantly, it should be placed in the same room in which you have placed your router. Also, do not place any WiFi interference device near your extender. These devices include Bluetooth speakers, microwave ovens, baby monitors, fish tanks, mirrors, etc.
Note: For the better performance of your Netgear wireless range extender, place it on a table, countertop, or in the middle of a room.
- Configure Your Netgear Extender Properly
An improper mywifiext setup can also result in a red light issue with your extender. Perhaps, you have messed up while configuring your WiFi device. Therefore, it is advised to set up your Netgear extender properly.
- Strengthen the Connection Between WiFi Devices
If there is a weak or poor connection between your Netgear extender and router, then also you might face red light issue. Therefore, check if you have connected both devices wirelessly or using an Ethernet cable. If you have connected them wirelessly, then use an Ethernet cable to connect them. But, if you are already using a wired connection, make sure that it is finger-tight and the Ethernet cable is damage-free.
- Update the Firmware of Your Extender
Sometimes, an obsolete version of your extender’s firmware can lead to the red light issue. Therefore, log into your WiFi device and update the firmware. If you’re unfamiliar with the process, then follow the steps given below:
- Switch on your Netgear wireless range extender by plugging it into a working power outlet.
- Now, connect the extender and router with the help of an Ethernet cable.
- Thereafter, turn on your PC and launch an internet browser on it.
- Download the firmware update file for your extender and save it at the desired location on your PC.
- Open a new tab and type mywifiext.net in the address bar.
- Press the Enter key.
- Now, enter the default login credentials of your Netgear wireless range extender in the required fields to proceed further.
- Click the Log In button and you will get redirected to the Netgear Genie setup wizard.
- Look for the Firmware Update option.
- Thereafter, browse the firmware update file and upload it.
- As soon as you upload the file, the firmware update for your device will start.
- Reset your Netgear Extender
If none of the aforementioned troubleshooting tips worked for you, then don’t worry. You can still fix the red light issue. Therefore, reset your Netgear wireless range extender. For this, look for the Reset button on your wireless device and press it with a sharp object. The moment you release the button, your extender will be restored to the factory default settings. Now, reconfigure it by accessing the mywifiext page. This time you’ll definitely be able to fix the red light issue.
Getting rid of the Netgear extender red light issue is not rocket science. All you need is to follow the troubleshooting tactics mentioned in this article.